From ZeXtras Suite Wiki
|Language:||English • español • português|
|Latest Version: 2.6.7|
|Released on: July 10th, 2018|
- 1 How ZeXtras Suite Licensing works
- 2 Licensing Options
- 3 Trial Mode
- 4 Grace Limit
- 5 How to obtain a License
- 6 How to activate a License
- 7 Special licenses: BIDs, Not for Resale and Extended Trials
- 8 Module Activation and Initialization
- 9 License Expiration
- 10 The ZeXtras Store
- 11 Upgrade a License
- 12 How to remove a License
How ZeXtras Suite Licensing works
Why the licensing works this way?
As explained by Cine in the ZeXtras Forums:
|“|| As I said, the licensing system has been carefully designed to be fair with both small and large companies, and licensing our modules by user account would have meant a raise in the price which would have been troublesome for most of our customers.
The use of this kind of licensing also allows us to be more flexible on quantities and support... Frankly, I still have to see a comparable solution that allows you to license your mailboxes on a Pay-per-Use basis or that doesn't require you to pay additional fees/have an ongoing license to open a support ticket.
Planning our licensing model to provide the best possible experience required a lot of effort and the feedbacks we get on it are showing that we are on track to achieve our goals of a fair and flexible licensing system.
Moreover, if you think that ZeXtras' licensing system is not fair just because you need to license all your mailboxes on your server, please try to consider what you actually get with ZeXtras: you'll notice that it's not just a license for a product, but a wide range of additional services and a constantly improving seller-to-buyer experience.
—Cine, the ZeXtras Team
The ZeXtras Bundle option includes all the Zextras Suite modules at a discounted price. Furthermore, all modules are available separately for purchase and can be combined into a single license.
ZeXtras Chat is 100% free and does not require a license.
Starting from September 8th, 2016, our "Perpetual License" option is subscription based: this means that you'll need an active maintenance subscription to be able to update Zextras Suite to the latest release available. Should your maintenance subscription expire, you won't be able to update Zextras Suite and doing so will result in the license to become inactive.
If no license is activated, ZeXtras Suite will run in Trial Mode. All the available modules will be activated for a 30-day period, with some limitations.
Namely, those limitations are:
- ZxBackup: When running in Trial Mode, you will not be able to import data exported more than 30 days from the current date.
- ZxMobile: No limitations
- ZxPowerstore: No limitations
- ZxAdmin: No limitations
The ZxBackup limitation is affected by the timestamp of the export, NOT by the timestamp of the items thereby contained. You will be able to import all items regardless of their date as long as those have been exported less than 30 days ago.
In order to avoid service outages in emergency situations, such as an urgent Restore On New Account or a last-minute new account, a 5% "Grace Limit" has been included in ZeXtras Suite.
This means that upon reaching the maximum number of mailboxes allowed by your license you will still be able to use all licensed modules but said modules will be disabled when the allowed number of mailboxes is exceeded by 5% (max. 20 additional accounts).
How to obtain a License
To obtain a license the following steps are required:
- Log into your ZeXtras Store Account
- Enter the number of mailboxes on your server. If your Company is a Gov agency, an Educational/Research institute or a Non-Profit Organization be sure to check the "Edu/Gov" checkbox.
- Select the Time Span. Possible choices are:
- Yearly: 1 year starting from the checkout date.
- Perpetual: no expiration, but tied to a "Maintenance Support" subscription.
- Custom Duration: your choice - minimum 183 days, no maximum.
- Check all modules you want to activate. The price will be automatically updated every time you add/remove a module.
- Click the "Select Payment Method" button to proceed.
As soon as the payment operations are completed, you will receive an email with a download link for the license. Past orders and license files can always be found in the "Account" section of the Store.
How to activate a License
To activate a license, download from the Zextras Store the license.zx file.
- Log into the Administration Console in Zimbra with an admin account.
- In the Left Pane of the Administration Console select Core (under the ZeXtras Suite category) to show up the ZeXtras Core tab.
- Click the "Browse" button in the Upload License section and select the license.zx file you downloaded.
- Click "Save".
- If the license file is valid your License Status should change to "Valid" and your License Type to "Purchased". All the other data should change accordingly.
If you are experiencing difficulties in uploading your license, you can try to do it using the ZeXtras CLI. Simply upload your license file to the /tmp/ folder of your Zimbra server and run the following as the 'zimbra' user:
zxsuite core doUploadLicense /tmp/license.zx
License Warning recipient
Since it's highly probable that the person in charge of license management is not the same as the one in charge of the server's actual management (and vice versa), ZeXtraS Suite allows the admin to specify one or more additional email addresses which will only receive license-related notifications and warning.
In order to do so, enter the desired addresses as a comma-separated list in the "Additional License Warning Emails" field in the Notifications section of the Core tab in the ZeXtras Administration Zimlet.
Special licenses: BIDs, Not for Resale and Extended Trials
In some specific cases, the ZeXtras Sales Team might create a special license which is not obtained through the standard purchasing method. Such cases include:
- Special BIDs - for licenses over 5000 mailboxes
- Not for Resales - licenses granted to partners for internal or testing use
- Extended Trials - additional free time to further evaluate our products
When a special license is created, logging into your ZeXtras Store account at https://store.zextras.com will show you one of the following options depending on the available license:
Paid licenses, e.g. Special BIDs
Free licenses, e.g. Extended Trial Licenses
Clicking on either option under the "Select Payment Method" will allow you to download or pay for your license according to whether it's a free or paid one.
Module Activation and Initialization
Once your ZeXtras Suite License is Activated (See below for the activation details), all acquired modules are automatically activated. The only exception to this is ZxMobile on Zimbra Network Edition.
Each module, however, might require a dedicated initialization in order to be fully functional:
To properly function, ZeXtras Backup needs a dedicated directory on a filesystem to save all it's configurations and all the backupped data.
The default path for this directory is /opt/zimbra/backup/zextras/.
The inizialization process automatically creates the folder structure and the configuration files needed.
No initialization needed, by default ZxMobile is active and its features are available to all of your users out-of-the-box.
A default HSM Policy is configured in Zimbra. This policy will move all emails and documents older than 30 days to the Current Secondary Store.
However, there is no Current Secondary Store created by default in Zimbra. This means that in order to start using the ZeXtras Powerstore module you will at least need to:
- Create a new Volume, which will be your Current Secondary Store.
- Enable the Policy Application Scheduling.
No initialization needed.
When your ZeXtras Suite License, either trial or purchased, expires, all ZeXtras Suite modules except for ZeXtras Chat will stop working until a valid license is uploaded.
The ZeXtras Store
ZeXtras Licenses are acquired and managed on the ZeXtras Store, which is located at https://store.zextras.com.
You must register to the ZeXtras Store in order to be able to finalize a purchase. As soon as the creation process is completed an email will be sent to the provided address confirming the success of the operation, and all the discounts you are entitled to will be automatically applied when you log into the store.
The "Customer Corner"
The Customer Corner is your main hub for everything regarding your ongoing ZeXtras Licenses.
The page is divided in 2 main sections:
- Orders: Here you can create a new license, upgrade your current licenses and download both your invoices and license files.
- Account: Here you can edit your personal data and change your password.
Upgrade a License
To upgrade a license the following steps are required:
- Log into the Zextras Store.
- Go to the "Customer Corner" (click the small arrow next to your name on the upper right corner of the screen).
- Under "Orders" tab, find the license you want to upgrade in the list of your licenses and click on Upgrade.
- Enter the new number of total users in your server / the new modules to be added / the new expiration date for your license. The residual value of your current license as well as your discounts and the final cost of the upgrade are displayed on the bottom of the page. To show them, clic on "Details" next to the price.
- Once you are done, click on the "Select payment method" button and proceed just like a normal purchase.
How to remove a License
To remove a license and revert back to trial mode, just remove the /opt/zimbra/conf/zextras/[license_name].zx file while all the Zimbra services are down. Mind that if you revert back to trial mode, the trial timer will not be restarted (so if you installed ZeXtras Suite more than 30 days before the license removal your backup system will be shut of because of the trial expriation).