ZeXtras Migration Tool Guide
From ZeXtras Suite Wiki
- 1 A couple of words before you begin
- 2 Preparing the migration
- 3 Migration Checklist
- 4 Part 1 - Source Server
- 5 How to Export a ZxMig dataset
- 6 Interlude: Moving the Ferry Store
- 7 Part 2 - Destination Server
- 8 How to import a ZeXtras Migration Tool dataset
|Language:||English • español • português|
A couple of words before you begin
This is a message from a sysadmin to a sysadmin.
ZeXtras Migration Tool is a great piece of software that dramatically simplifies the migration from one Zimbra server to antoher.
However, the first rule of a migration of this kind is simple: Take your time.
Read through this guide and the related pages, and if you still have any doubts or questions, ask it on the forums (ZeXtras Migration Tool Forums).
Spending some time planning will gratly benefit the operation.
Preparing the migration
In order to minimize the risk of errors, please perform the following mainteinance procedures before migrating:
- Doublecheck Zimbra permissions with the following command (must be ran as root): /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms --verbose --extended
- Reindex all mailboxes.
- Check the BLOB consistency with the zmblobchk utility (see Here for more details)
To efficently migrate data from a Zimbra server to another you will need:
- Full access to both Zimbra servers (admin access to Zimbra Administration Console and root access to the machine)
- ZeXtras Migration Tool installed on the SOURCE machine
- ZeXtras Suite, with the ZxBackup module activated, on the DESTINATION machine. Both Paid License and Trial Mode will do.
- A "ferry" store to move the exported data to the new server, approx. the size of the /opt/zimbra/store/ folder on the Source machine. This can be a network share o a dedicated device in a physical environment or a virtual disk on a virtual environment. Mind that during the migration you'll need to move the "ferry" store from a machine to another.
The migration process is pretty straightforward:
The first part of the migration takes place on the Source machine and aims to export a dataset containing all the items, metadata and configurations of your choice.
Then, after moving the "ferry" store to the Destination server, such dataset will be imported on the new system.
What will be migrated
Virtually everything, including:
- Emails and Attachments
- Folders (local and shared)
- Documents (for 6.x exports)
- User Preferences
- LDAP user Configs (such as External Auth)
- Domain Settings
Part 1 - Source Server
|How to export a ZxMig Dataset -|
How to Export a ZxMig dataset
To export a ZeXtras Migration Tool dataset ZxMig must be installed on the source server.
ZeXtras Migration Tool is completely free, so a valid license is not required.
ZeXtras Suite must NOT be installed on the source machine.
Exporting data from a Multiserver Infrastructure
When exporting data from a Multiserver Infrastructure always remember that a dataset exported from one mailbox server will only contain accounts stored in that mailbox server itself.
Interlude: Moving the Ferry Store
Once the export process is completed, you must unmount the "ferry" store from the Source Machine and mount it on the Destination machine.
Remember that the zimbra user must have AT LEAST read permissions for the folder containing the dataset. The Import Wizard will check for this requirement.
Part 2 - Destination Server
|How to export a ZxMig Dataset -|
How to import a ZeXtras Migration Tool dataset
To import a ZeXtras Migration Tool dataset (or any export made with ZxBackup) ZeXtras Suite must be installed on the destination server.
A valid license, either paid or trial, is required.
ZeXtras Migration Tool must NOT be installed on the destination machine.