ZxAdmin Admin Guide
From ZeXtras Suite Wiki
|Language:||English • español • português|
|Available since ZeXtras version: 1.7.0|
|Latest Version: 2.4.11|
|Released on: June 9th, 2017|
- 1 Prerequisites
- 2 Getting Started
- 3 What is ZxAdmin
- 4 Delegated Admin Management
- 5 Utilities
- 6 Best Practices
- 7 Known Issues
To enable and use the ZeXtras Admin Module you'll need:
- An active ZeXtras Suite License including the Zextras Admin Module.
- The ZeXtras Suite and the ZeXtras Administration Zimlet installed on a supported version of Zimbra Collaboration.
- Full user rights on the machine:
- Admin access to Zimbra (usually https://myserver.mydomain.tld:7071/).
- Enough Operating System permissions to switch to the "zimbra" user in order to use the ZeXtras CLI.
- Enough Operating System permissions to access the Zimbra and Zextras logs is suggested.
The ZeXtras Admin module does not require any initialization procedure in order to be functional.
All ZeXtras Admin operations can be performed by any global admin through the ZeXtras Administration Zimlet.
What is ZxAdmin
ZxAdmin is one of the modules of ZeXtras Suite.
It allows all Global Administrators of your Zimbra server to grant "Delegated Administrator" rights to other users and to manage such rights in an easy and effective way.
Global Admins and Delegated Admins
A "Global Admin" is a system operator which has full administration rights on the Zimbra server, whose tasks include:
- Keeping the server healthy and fully functional.
- Managing software updates and upgrades.
- Handling domain/user provisioning and the correlated range of operations.
A "Delegated Admin" (also called "Junior Admin") is either a system operator or a "non-IT" user with very limited administration rights on one or more domains. Such rights are tailored in such a way that the Delegated Admin can neither view data for which he lacks authorization for nor change any system setting. The Delegated Admin's job is usually to support the Global Administrator(s) by performing all tasks related to user provisioning.
Delegated Admin Management
- Create and manage Delegated Admins, with limited rights on the Zimbra Administration Console.
- Settings dedicated to better manage your users' quotas and to avoid running out of space.
- Set per-domain limits for a customized experience and effective multitenancy.
- The bread and butter of Zimbra Administration for Delegated Admins
- Browse your logs from the ZeXtras Administration Zimlet with an advanced filtering system.
- ZeXtras Admin's reporting feature, to always be in control.
- Reset all Admin Delegation settings and Domain Limits in order to revert back to "factory defaults".
- Always create a new Class of Service when creating a new domain. Use the new Class of Service as the default for the new domain. This way, it will be easier to satisfy different needs for different domains while keeping your system nice and tidy at the same time.
- ZIMBRA 6.x: Assigning the same user as a Domain Admin for two different domains with two different default classes of service might make that user unable to create new accounts on one of the two domains.